What is the truth? What else do we not know about Mayor Duterte and his hidden wealth? What immeasurable damage can he inflict on the Philippine treasury should he win the Presidency?
DON’T BE SCAMMED BY DUTERTE
The sins of corruption of Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte:
DUTERTE CORRUPTION 1994:
• In 1994, San Miguel Corporation wanted to put up a big brewery in Davao City. This would have generated thousands of employment for the people of Davao. However, SMC decided to relocate in the adjoining town of Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur because of alleged extortion by members of the city council. Duterte was not named in the attempted extortion but as mayor, he simply looked the way and never reprimanded the members of the City Council, all of whom are his political allies. Extortion has become a normal practice among members of the City council particularly the so-called DLBM Gang who are all staunch allies of Duterte.
DUTERTE CORRUPTION 1996:
• In 1996 the Davao City government under Mayor Rodrigo Duterte built a two-storey Sangguniang Panlungsod building for P150-Million. During that same period, the management of the nearby Apo View Hotel was built a nine-storey building that only cost P140 Million. How can a two-storey government building be more expensive than a nine-storey hotel?
DUTERTE CORRUPTION 2000:
• In 2000, Duterte claims that he only had P2Million in assets in his Statement of Assets Liabilities and Networth. His registered income was his salary as mayor and part owner of the Honda showroom in General Santos City. That was the time when the marriage of Duterte and his wife Elizabeth Zimmerman. But in 2007, upon their entry to politics, his son Paolo declared in his SALN that had P20 Million and Sarah also had P18M. Both were jobless before they decided to enter politics. When asked where they got their money, Sarah said in public debate that they got the money by way of the so-called advance legitim (inheritance) as a result the annulment of their parents’ marriage. So how can Duterte, whose net worth 7 years before was only 2 Million, raise a minimum of P38 Million which was shared by Sarah and Paolo as part of their inheritance from their father?
DUTERTE CORRUPTION 2006:
• In 2006 his son Paolo Duterte managed to corner the city’s advertising contract for all of Davao City’s center islands. Paolo’s Genesis Advertising which is co-owned by his smuggling partner Glen Escandor was able to secure the advertising deal for FREE! Under the agreement, the Genesis Advertising was allowed to build and operate decorative lamps with advertisement spaces purposely for the Asian Tourism Forum in 2006 at no cost to the city government but they would be given the option to maintaining these ad spaces even after the event.
DUTERTE CORRUPTION 2007:
• In 2007, the Davao City Government under Mayor Rodrigo Duterte bought garbage cans for P200 Million. The small garbage bin which City Hall bought from Duterte’s favored supplier for P6,295 per piece would only cost P2,199 if bought from Department Stores and Hardwares. The bigger bins which Duterte bought for P11,000 a piece is only worth P5,150 if purchased from Department Stores and Hardwares.
• In 2007, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte decided to demolish Davao City’s only sports facility called the Kapitan Tomas Monteverde Sports Center and build a “tree park” instead. For simple concrete walkways and trees that were planted in a 7-hectare lot, the Davao City government had to spend P87 Million! With that amount, you can already reforest an entire mountain!
• Based on Commission on Audit’s annual report from December 31,2003 up to 2007, Mayor Duterte and the City Council headed by his daughter Sara have yet to account for P2.9 Billion worth of equipment and properties which were procured by the City Hall. The COA reported that a colossal 82% of Davao City Hall’s declared assets valued at P2,933,909,784.17 could not be ascertained because of the failure of the city government to conduct physical count and for failure to prepare and submit a reports of such physical count.
DUTERTE CORRUPTION 2008:
• Based on the 2008 audit report by CoA, the Davao City government collected some P180-million for Special Education Fund. The amount is a percentage of the real estate taxes being collected by City Hall from businessmen and real property owners. SEF is a required by law to help public schools. Instead of using the money solely for improving public school facilities, Duterte spent nearly P11 Million in just one month for lavish restaurant parties and groceries. CoA revealed that for just one month, City Hall used the SEF to pay Ayang Food Caterer (P975,000), Yellow Fin Seafoods & Restaurant (P487,000), Lola Maming Restaurant & Catering Services (P487,000), Metro Plaza (P1,603,660) and NCCC (P7.8-million). That 11 Million would have been enough to build 22 new classrooms!
• In 2008, the entire City Council then headed by daughter Sarah was rocked by a pay-off scandal involving a property developer Interbev Philippines Davao which allegedly paid P300,000 to secure a zoning approval. The issue generated a lot of public uproar that Sarah admitted publicly that there was indeed an attempt to bribe the city council. The tough-talking Duterte was silent all throughout and never took any action even just to investigate the issue.
If Duterte becomes President, the entire stretch of EDSA will be filled with Paolo Duterte’s advertising decorative lamps. Cool!